Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Gearing Up for NaNoWriMo

Guess what time of year it is?!

Time for Halloween, you say? Time for Thanksgiving and Christmas with turkey, ham, and yams? Close, but not quite.

It's almost time for NaNoWriMo! For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. So you can guess what I'll be doing for the next thirty-odd days.

If you're interested in joining in the fun (and believe me, it is TONS of fun), then visit the official NaNoWriMo website. Once you've seen what it's all about, create a profile. You can tell the world a bit about you, the author, and your novel project. You can search for friends, browse the forums, and join a meet-up group. In a week, plus one day, all the coolest people in the world will be converging on this one site and uploading their word count for the day.

How many words do you write for the month of November? 50,000. So, depending on your genre, you might not actually finish your project, but you can sure get a headstart. Think 50K sounds like too much? Then write 5K or 10K. The point of NaNoWriMo isn't to drive you crazy. It's to get your writing every day and establishing writing as a part of your daily routine.

If you go on my NaNoWriMo profile (access the link here), you can see I've been doing NaNoWriMo since '06, though I missed last year. And I've won every year! Meaning, I got to print of a certificate, order a t-shirt, and brag to the world that I'd written 50,000 words in a single month. This year, I already have my author profile revised and a bit about the new project I'll be working on: THE LAST FRONTIER.

For those of you who're sad to see DEAD DOLL fade into the background, have no fear. My plan is to have the third draft completed by the end of this month, and I'll go back to it in December. But for November, I wanted to work on a completely new project. For those of you who love DEAD DOLL, you may be in for a treat. The people who've had a sneak preview of the pre-writing I've done on THE LAST FRONTIER love it even more.

So stay turned for my NaNoWriMo updates! I'll try to do a weekly blogpost on those, as well as my book reviews.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo? If so, let's connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment