Review of SPEED OF LIGHT--Fenestra series #3

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for stopping by my blog for the review of Amber Kizer's third volume of the Fenestra series: SPEED OF LIGHT. For those of you who don't know, I receive advanced reader's copies of books through the independent bookstore, Full Circle, at which I work, and I ALWAYS post reviews on the books I take home. I do one a month.

If you have requests for reviews, please leave a comment! I'll do my best to get that book, and I'll let you know when you can expect to see the review.

This month, I'm reviewing SPEED OF LIGHT because it debuts in hardcover next month! I'm sure those of you who've read the previous Fenestra books will be very glad indeed to see this volume come out at last. If you have any more questions about the book's release, visit Amber Kizer's website at this link. Or you can always ask me. I'm happy to answer.

I admit I didn't read the previous two volumes, MERIDIAN and WILDCAT FIRELIES, and to be honest, I probably won't. Here's why.

SPEED OF LIGHT is over 500 pages long, but it doesn't need to be. I love fast-paced, high stakes, and action-packed stories. While this has the potential to be that, the heavy prose weighs the plot down. I felt that what most authors would say in a page, Kizer says in multiple chapters. If you like that kind of endless introspection, then this book is for you.

At times, I found the switch between Juliet and Meridian's points of view to be too abrupt, and if Meridian's chapters had been labeled with the subtitle of her name, the infusion I experienced would have become nearly nonexistent. On this same note, I found the climax itself to be confusing. I found myself rereading the chapters trying to understand exactly how the Fenestra save the day--but I won't spill the details of the climax, itself.

I have family in Indiana, so the mention of Lebanon (a small town in Indiana) touched my heart. However, I couldn't help but wonder how thrilled young readers--who often come from small towns--would be about this all-important third book in the series centering around the Indy 500 in rural Indiana. Not my idea of the best place to stage the novel, but also not my choice.

But the plot and subplots are intricate. The characters are well-rounded and well developed. I enjoyed the way Juliet compared the world to food. Gus and Faye's story culminates beautifully, and the final chapters made me smile. For those who fell in love with Kizer's prose style and characters, I do believe this volume will not disappoint. After all, who doesn't love rainbows and happy endings?

Do you have thoughts/comments on Kizer's newest novel? If so, be sure to share! And let me know if you purchase a copy of SPEED OF LIGHT. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.

Until next time!



Comments

Popular Posts