Wednesday, December 5, 2012

NaNoWriMo Update #4: The Wrap-up

We're into the first week of December 2012, and you know what that means. NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is over for another year.

*Sigh*

Now I'll be counting the days until NaNoWriMo 2013 starts up.

Every year, or at least since I started doing NaNo, I get so excited about the month of November. I gear up to work on whatever current project I'm stewing over, attempt to clear my schedule, aaaand...I do really well for the first week or two. Then something seems to happen.

I have to work more. I have an unexpected school project to work on over Thanksgiving break. I find out I'm traveling. I get food poisoning. I (I feel so guilty saying this) get a new game or discover a new TV show.

Suddenly, it's the second to last or last week in November, and I'm only about a third of the way through whatever I'm writing!

That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm behind on my work count because I try to do double duty word count in those early days, but I'm certainly feeling behind in the story or surrounded by a bunch of fluff words.

So, yes, that happened this year, too. But I don't regret anything about NaNo 2012.

I meant to start an entirely new novel, but that didn't happen. So I turned my attention to a third MAJOR edit of my paranormal horror novel, DEAD DOLL. And the edit went amazing.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

I've never been so proud of the way a novel turned out. I think that this one might even be THE ONE. You know, the one that the big six finally pays attention to. I already have an interested editor at Tor and at least two interested agents at major literary firms in YA.

So this December, when I'm not holiday-ing (and blogging), I'll be perfecting my query letter, tightening my synopsis, and sending out my novel to the list of agents I've started compiling. Wish me luck as I embark on this process!

How did NaNo 2012 go for you? Did you finish a novel? Or did you meet a personal word goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment