Saturday, January 5, 2013

DARK HEROINE by Abigail Gibbs--Unofficial Review

Welcome to 2013! I hope you've had a fabulous new year so far, that you're enjoying this holiday season, and you're beating the cold by reading a lot. I know I am.

I just finished THE DARK HEROINE (DINNER WITH A VAMPIRE) by Abigail Gibbs. I'm calling this an unofficial review of it because I'm reflecting more on her internet success more than on the book, itself.



Did I like HEROINE? Well...that's a complicated question to answer. I finished the book, which means there was something that kept tugging me back into it. Obviously I could have spent my time reading one of the many advanced reader copies of books I'm going to review this year, but I finished HEROINE instead.

The story--at times--appalled me. I still can't grasp the romance between the main character and Kasper (the friendly ghost??). I'm not sure I think the plot was totally cohesive. I finished it wondering how all the pieces fit together. The ending wasn't satisfying. Probably because I didn't feel like the story really started until page 250 or so.

But I can't deny something happened in every chapter. Something exciting. Gibbs continually ramped up the plot and stakes. The main character, though obviously dreamed up by a 15-year-old girl, intrigued me.

But would I say I liked the book? "Like" is probably too strong of a word. But let's say I definitely appreciated it, and yes, I WILL be reading (and blogging about) the second one.

So it's $2.99 on the iTunes bookstore. Definitely worth it if you ask me. And if you have some spare time.

Now for the back story on Gibbs. 15-year-old Abigail started posting DINNER WITH A VAMPIRE (DID I MENTION I'M A VEGETARIAN?) on an site called Wattpad.


Since she first posted that story, it received over 17 million views. People from all over the world commented on Gibbs' story, and she commented back. Gibbs is incredibly endearing. Her personality and willingness to interact with fans (and deal tastefully with flamers) no doubt helped expand her reach.

Gibbs signed with HarperCollins (a high 6 figure deal), and soon after, she released the first in what's called an epic vampiric saga. Go Abigail!

Lesson for aspiring writers? DON'T GIVE UP! REACH OUT! People want to read your work. People want to know who you are--no matter if you're 13 or 93. And, yes, publishers are still offering first-time authors fabulous contracts, even in this economy.

I know Gibbs' perseverance and dedication inspires me, and for all those out there criticizing her story and writing...Keep in mind she WAS writing (and every day, too) at 15. Just think of how great she'll be when she's 30.

And speaking of writing, I should get back to it.

Happy new year!


No comments:

Post a Comment