Review of FEARLESS by Cornelia Funke

Finally, a review of a (nearly) straight fantasy novel for young adult readers!

Ever since Robert Jordan's final novel A MEMORY OF LIGHT has come out, I've wanted to read and review straight fantasy. Probably because I haven't yet had a chance to read the conclusion to the Wheel of Time series. Is it good?

But I'm off on a tangent. What am I reviewing this week? FEARLESS by Cornelia Funke, the second novel in her Mirrorworld series. If you're familiar with Cornelia Funke, you know she's a terrific novel with a great track record, which includes INKHEART and its follow up novels.

Here's a sneak peek at the two covers that FEARLESS will be jacketed in, as well as a summary of the novel:





Synopsis:

After saving his brother, Jacob Reckless faces death from the fairy's curse burnt into his heart. In search of a cure, he returns to the Mirrorworld where he is reunited with Fox, a beautiful shape-shifting girl. He has one more chance: a golden crossbow with the power to save and destroy life, buried in a dead king's tomb, beneath an invisible palace. Jacob must cross continents, face monsters and men, including a dangerous rival, and learn what it means to stay alive.

How many stars do I give FEARLESS? Five out of five. I loved this book. Even though I came in during the second installment of this series, I had little trouble following. I liked the main character, Jacob Reckless, and I liked his love interest, Fox (or Celeste, as we later learn her name is) even more. 

Funke did an amazing job at making the main antagonist likable as well, something I always love in a book. Reckless and the Goyl merely have conflicting interests, and at times, you might wonder which one of them you want to complete the quest first. 

Plus, Funke has a dozen subplots that help carry the novel along, and she does a good job of bringing characters from her previous novel into this one--so if your favorite character from the first Mirrorworld was Will or one of the fairies, you'll see those characters brought back in FEARLESS. 

The only trouble I had will the book were these two small things. The characters' internal monologues often sounded like they were all the same person, one hivemind that all spoke exactly the same way. I also didn't like the ending. I know, I know. Why should you read a book if the ending isn't satisfying? It wasn't so much that--it was just...confusing, I guess. I couldn't see the author's vision. But maybe others won't have that problem.

Even with those small flaws, I loved the book, and I'd read it again. I'm definitely picking up RECKLESS, the first book in the Mirrorworld series, and I'll report back on that as well.

After saving his brother, Jacob Reckless faces death from the fairy's curse burnt into his heart. In search of a cure, he returns to the Mirrorworld where he is reunited with Fox, a beautiful shape-shifting girl. He has one more chance: a golden crossbow with the power to save and destroy life, buried in a dead king's tomb, beneath an invisible palace. Jacob must cross continents,face monsters and men, including a dangerous rival, and learn what it means to stay alive. 

Next time I'll be reviewing NAMELESS by Lili St. Crow, the first book in a new series called Tales of Beauty and Madness. So if you loved her Strange Angels series, stay tuned for next week's review.

As always, if you have any books you'd like reviewed, leave them in the comments, and I'll be happy to check them out for you. 

Until next time!

Comments

Popular Posts