Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Review of THE 5TH WAVE by Rick Yancey

I'm not even going to waste time on this review with a (supposedly) witty introduction.

I finished THE 5TH WAVE by Rick Yancey. Visit Yancey's website here. And it was FABULOUS. Spectacular. Thrilling. Wild. Awesome. Supermegawonderificlyterrif. On Goodreads, I gave it 5 out of 5 stars and wished the scale went higher.

I haven't read a young adult sci-fi novel that was this good since Garth Nix's SHADE'S CHILDREN and Orson Scott Card's ENDER'S GAME. And those are classic.

But without any further ado, let me show you the cover and book trailer and give you the synopsis.



Synopsis:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

Book Trailer:


***

Now that you know the gist of the story, let me tell you my thoughts.

THE 5TH WAVE is Putnam's answer to THE HUNGER GAMES, or at  least that's what I've been reading. Yancey got a fat advance for this book, and Putnam's launching a HUGE marketing campaign for this title, so you know they think it's going to be big.

I didn't go into the read with high hopes. I'd read another book of Yancey's, THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST, and I couldn't finish it because I got bored. But I was hooked on THE 5TH WAVE on the first page.

The way the book's written reminds me of T.M. Goeglein's book COLD FURY, which is told in a sort of diary form. However, Yancey switches POVs and even gives us insight into the enemy's head. The storyline reminds me of Stephanie Meyer's THE HOST, which I was reading concurrently, since I plan on seeing the movie this weekend.

You know the concept: Aliens aren't green monsters. They're like bodysnatchers, but they're more than that. They're not all bad, and that's what makes them so scary. I almost feel like Yancey looked at THE HOST and thought, I could do that so much better.

And he did (though I enjoyed THE HOST, too).

THE 5TH WAVE has a depressing, hopeless opening. The odds humanity will survive are 10000000000000 to 1. But I liked the main character, so I kept reading. I wish I could explain the rest of the plot to you, but YOU JUST HAVE TO READ IT. Why?

Because Yancey reams your mind.

You think you know where the story's going, but oops, no, you don't. You won't have a clue...

The only flaw I found in the 480 page epic is that sometimes Yancey's protagonist doesn't sound like a teenage girl. But hey, he's never been a teenager girl, and writing as the opposite sex can be a challenge. But don't let that stop you from enjoying the story. It didn't stop me.

The pub date for THE 5TH WAVE will go on sale May 7th, 2013. But don't wait that long! Pre-order a copy now! I guarentee this one's going to sell like hot cakes.

See you next week! I'll be reviewing THE BEAUTIFUL AND THE CURSED by Page Morgan. And as always, if you'd like to see a book reviewed, leave a comment below, and I'll get on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment