Review of SPIRIT AND DUST by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Here in the Midwest, the weather's taken a turn for the cold again. Fitting, as SPIRIT AND DUST by Rosemary Clement-Moore has a definite chill factor. Visit the author's website here.

A few notes before I hop into the synopsis, show the cover art, and run the book through the review wringer: Don't be deceived by the cover I show you! This book is fun and funny. I definitely hope the book does well, and the graphic design team reboots the jacket.

But you don't yet know what I'm talking about! So read on, readers, read on.






See?? Such a gloomy, cliched cover.

But let's get to the synopsis:

Daisy Goodnight can speak to the dead. It’s not the result of a head injury or some near-death experience. She was just born that way. And she’s really good at it. Good enough to help the police solve the occasional homicide.

But helping the local authorities clear cold cases is one thing. Being whisked out of chemistry class by the FBI and flown to the scene of a murder/kidnapping in Minnesota? That’s the real deal.

Before the promotion can go to Daisy’s head, she’s up to her neck in trouble. The spirits are talking, and they’re terrified. There’s a real living girl in danger. And when Daisy is kidnapped by a crime boss with no scruples about using magic—and Daisy—to get what he wants, it looks like hers is the next soul on the line.


***

SPIRIT AND DUST comes out May 14th, 2013. Should you run out and buy it? How many stars did I give the book on Goodreads?

I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars. I wanted to give it 4.5, but that wasn't an option. I also think it passes the buy test. Out of all the books debuting in May, you should give this one a whirl. 

SPIRIT AND DUST has a quirky main character and a hugely quirky climax. This might not be my usual, serious cup of tea, but I enjoyed this read. I liked the main character a lot; I even liked the love interest. And I kept turning page after page after page. 

If you're looking for a light, paranormal mystery tale to read this summer by a new author, then Rosemary Clement-Moore has definitely written the book for you.

I marveled at the author's technique to drop clues for our main characters and have everything fit together--and not the way you expect--at the end. When I got to the heart of the climax, I had a "WHOA" moment because I definitely didn't see what was coming...

Mysteries always seem a little formulaic to me, but 1. I couldn't write one to save my life and 2. I know a lot of readers dig the structure of the mystery novel. When combined with Clement-Moore's clean writing style and hilarious main character, it makes for a good, quick, fun read.

The only drawbacks to the novel were that pesky mystery structure, which is totally my opinion alone, and at times, I felt the author tried just a little toooo hard to make us laugh. Readers don't always have to be laughing, especially when times gets tough. 

One thing that made SPIRIT AND DUST great though is it's a stand-alone novel. Sure I'd like to read another book with the same protagonist, but I don't HAVE to, to find out the ending of the story. And it helps me, as a reader, feel like I really accomplished something.

All good things!

Again, SPIRIT AND DUST comes out May 14th of this year, so pre-order your copy now!

I'll see you same time next week when I'll be reviewing A GATHERING OF WINGS by Kate Klimo, the second book in the Centauriad series. 

As always, if you'd like a book reviewed, leave a comment below, and I'll jump on it!

See you next week!


Comments

Popular Posts