Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Review of FLICKER & BURN by T. M. Goeglein (Plus EXCLUSIVE insider info)

Author T. M. Goeglein is back and better than ever in the second book of the Cold Fury series, FLICKER & BURN. I thought my summer was hot and wild-paced already, but then I got into this book, and it kicked everything up a degree. Learn more about Geoglein and Cold Fury here.

So what's FLICKER & BURN about and why did I love it so much? Well, read on, readers, read on.


*SPECIAL* Video Clip:




Summary:

 Sara Jane Rispoli is still searching for her missing family, but instead of fighting off a turncoat uncle and crooked cops, this time she finds herself on the run from creepy beings with red, pulsing eyes and pale white skin chasing her through the streets in ice cream trucks; they can only be described as Ice Cream Creatures. They're terrifying and hell bent on killing her, but they're also a link to her family, a clue to where they might be and who has them. While she battles these new pursuers, she's also discovering more about her own cold fury and more about the Chicago Outfit, how the past misdeeds--old murders and vendettas--might just be connected to her present and the disappearance of her family. But connecting the dots is tough and time-consuming and may finally be the undoing of her relationship with the handsome Max--who's now her boyfriend. But for his own safety, Sara Jane may have to end this relationship before it even really starts. Her pursuers who've shown her her mother's amputated finger and the head of the Chicago Outfit who's just whistled her in for a sit-down make a romance unthinkable. The only thing that matters is finding her family and keeping everyone she loves alive.

***

 HOW COOL IS ALL THIS? I honestly wasn't sure Goeglein could top his first book because it was so exquisite, but he did. And I bet the next will be even better. 

On Goodreads, I gave the book 5 out of 5 stars. Already it's rating there is cooking, so I'm far from alone in my opinion of this young adult book. 

So why did I love FLICKER & BURN so much? I don't think we have enough adventure stories starring girls, and that's exactly what this is. Not to mention, the mystery keeps getting bigger and bigger, and every chapter has a new twist. 

Goeglein has a knack for introducing a zillion subplots but managing them very well. I never once felt lost, though there's plenty going on. His writing style is, again, easy to read and fast-paced. And I don't often say that male authors do a good job of capturing a teenage girl's voice, but he really, really does. I kind of want to BE Sara Jane. No, I really want to be Sara Jane.

I like the combination of a strong female in an budding relationship with a good guy. To me, Goeglein gets at the heart of young love--it isn't all amazing passion and perfect kisses. It's awkward and confusing, and you're not sure if it's going to go anywhere, and that's okay. 

I realized that I missed some of the humor in COLD FURY the first time I read it because I was so engrossed in the story, itself. However, FLICKER & BURN had me laughing at several points and holding my breath at others. Now that's a book worth reading. 

If you're looking for a fun, hot summer read, I can't recommend anything better. FLICKER & BURN is scheduled to come out August 30th, so you've got some time to read COLD FURY (if you haven't) and pre-order a copy of FLICKER & BURN. I warn you...It's going to fly off the shelves. 

Join me next Wednesday when I'll have a special guest post by T. M. Goeglein, himself, on writing!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your review and the video! Made me want to run to the bookstore. Thanks, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad! You'll have to let me know what you think of the book. :)

    ReplyDelete