Review of UPRISING by Jessica Therrien

I don't know about you, but I love Greek mythology. As a kid I devoured the myths and as a young adult I enjoyed Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. What next?

I was one of the lucky people to receive an ARC of UPRISING by young adult novelist Jessica Therrien (Learn more about her here), and I can't wait to share this book with you. So read on, readers, read on.http://jessica-therrien.blogspot.com/



Synopsis:


Elyse has done everything she can to protect her friends from The Council's reach. As long as they believe she's dead, she has time to rest and train for war. And war is inevitable.
When Kara arrives with the news that Anna and Chloe have been captured, Elyse is faced with the realization that no one is safe until The Council is stopped and Christoph is destroyed. She doesn't need a prophecy to tell her to lead an army. Christoph has done the one thing that ensures she'll fight to the death. He's threatened the people she loves. 

It will take more than the words of an oracle to help them fight against the most powerful Descendant alive. To break The Council's oppression and rise up against a plot so many years in the making, Elyse will need to get dangerously close to her enemy. So close, in fact, she may not survive.

***

What were my thoughts, and more importantly, should you buy this book? I say yes! I gave UPRISING 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads and can't wait to get a hold of the next book in the series. 

Some of you may know, Jessica Therrien and I (as well as other fantasy authors Sabrina Fish, Tamara Grantham, Jere Ellison, and Tom Barczak) worked together on a collaborative blog project called A Feast of Fantasy. But I promise you our connection didn't in the least part weigh in on my review.

I liked UPRISING because (*SPOILER ALERT*) Jessica does a fantastic job of combining Greek myth with her own creativity. I enjoyed the main character's power--she can both kill and heal with her blood--as well as the unique traits the other characters possess. 

Besides liking the characters, there wasn't a dull moment in the book. I read the entire thing in ONE DAY because I couldn't put it down. Some beautiful and tragic...things...happen to MC, Elyse, which I hate to share on this post because I think you should discover the book's secrets for yourself, and these events made me care about her and her family very much. 

I loved the end because I didn't see it coming. It isn't often that an author can fool me, but about 50 pages from the ending, I had a jaw-drop moment when I realized we'd all been duped from the start. 

Thanks, Jessica, for writing such a fabulous, fun book. You bet I'll be recommending it by and large. 

Join me at the end of this month for a review of COLD FURY 2: FLICKER AND BURN and author interview with T. M. Goeglein.

See you later this June, readers! And as always, let me know if you'd like a book reviewed, and I'll be sure to do it. 
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts