Wednesday, Two Days Late


I kept a promise.

But—

In California, I ended up having limited access to Internet and limited time to even think about the web. While there, the world inside a screen no longer mattered and the colors in the real world had never seemed so brilliant. That was my trip. But still, I apologize for posting two days late.

This was the second time I’ve been to San Diego this year, but on this trip, I got to experience so much more than just the historic Gaslamp District. I spent time on Coronado Bay and saw the great Hotel Del—I swam in the ocean there. It was freezing, but so totally worth it. I spent hours in Birch Aquarium, videoing the seadragons and meditating in front of the kelp tank. I saw a sunflower starfish for the first time and had my finger nibbled on by a hungry anemone. Then I went to one of the many stables and smelled that unique and precious horse scent I’d been missing for several years. It was like coming home.

The promise I kept I made back in 2010. I told my great-aunt that I’d pay her a visit like I used to as a kiddo. We played Scrabble (with our own rules), I played the piano for her, we napped together with the wind chimes outside on the porch, and we went on walks with her puppy in the evenings where I learned that you can eat the sour pears that grow wild on the succulents.

I met a smart, sweet guy in a little dive bar my third night there. We talked for hours about Eastern culture and his experiences this past year in Japan. He reminded me how much I love studying linguistics and languages. And best of all, he reminded me that there are still a few good guys left. Even though we’ll be coasts apart, I hope we can keep in touch.

Doing Project 365 has never been so easy with all the traveling that I’ve been doing. Below, you can see the pictures from the last 9 days. I’ll have more coming in next week’s post.

Day1: The awesome cake at my going away party/critique group meeting in OKC.
 
 Day 2: The best writers a girl could ever know.

 Day 3: Running to my San Diego plane at DFW.

 Day 4: Swimming in the ocean at Hotel Del Coronado.

Day 5: Getting eaten by a shark at Birch Aquarium in San Diego.

 Day 6: Playing Scrabble with my great-aunt by our own rules.

 Day 7: Waiting in Chicago to go back to KCMO.

 Day 8: Spending time with my godfather before I leave for Connecticut.

 Day 9: Riding in a car seat at 1 am with the girls. That's how we roll.



On the book front, the agent who requested DEAD DOLL told me the manuscript wasn’t for her agency, but NOT in a form letter. She was very encouraging and expressed the project simply wasn’t for her. I’m glad for her honesty and timeliness. Now I can move on to other submissions and find the right home for my book. I edited 132 pages on the plane and continue to submit the poems in my first book of poetry every week.

I’m still reading DRINKING: A LOVE STORY, which is at times wonderfully revealing and at times terribly tragic. I’ll be forever in debt to my aunt in Oregon who recommended the book based on my past experiences with an alcoholic. I’ve taken a pause from WATERSHIP DOWN and started THE FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES, which I’d recommend to anyone—whether they’re Christian or not. On my way to Connecticut this next week, I’m going to start the last two audiobooks in the FIFTY SHADES series. I need something that’s a combination of mindless and engaging to brave the 1500-mile road trip.

What are you reading these days? Fill me in on great books I can bring to Connecticut.

I’ll see you next week. By then, I’ll be officially moved to the East Coast!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts