Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Project 365--The Chocolate-Covered Onion

I had a great time in Philly, the city of Brotherly Love. The training session and swearing in ceremony couldn't have been any better than they were. I met so many like-minded, service-oriented people from all over the North East region, met up with a friend, and, of course, ate the fabled chocolate-covered onion. But more on that later.

Now that I'm back home, I'm finally starting my year of AmeriCorps service. I am both thrilled and daunted by the challenges that lay in front of me. So please wish me luck, and enjoy this Project 365 update!


Day 28: I went to Reading Terminal Market and ate a chocolate-covered red onion with the skin still on. Was it good? NO! I think it's the worst thing I've ever tasted. Still, I recommend the experience.


Day 29: Me with my friend, James, and his beyond awesome daughter, Paige. 


Day 30: I'm officially sworn in as an AmeriCorps VISTA. The ceremony both honored and humbled us all. I wish all my fellow VISTAs a wonderful year of service. I know many challenges and many opportunities lie ahead of us.


Day 31: Back at home, I ran 1.5 miles, and after going hard all day and all night for a week, it was really hard work. But my abs are shaping up!


Day 32: I attended church at First Congregational Presbyterian this Sunday and had the privilege of hearing a master harpist. Her playing was absolutely out of this world. 


Day 33: It's Labor Day, and Goodwill had a great sale. I stocked up on clothes for this year. All this for under $25. This is why I only shop at thrift stores for outerwear.


Day 34: My first day in the office as an AmeriCorps VISTA. I'm serving this year at Three Rivers Community College where I'll be working to bring educational and economic opportunities to Norwich, CT.


And that's my Project 365 update. 

As for the other aspects of my life, I started reading AS I LAY DYING and have fallen in love with Faulker's voice. This year, I'm hoping to knock off several novels from the Modern Library's list of the 100 best, and this one's at the top. 

I continue to write and submit weekly, but my writing philosophy has changed. Somewhere in the last couple of years, writing honestly stopped being fun. It was work to put my butt in the chair and plug away for three hours. Writing has always been so much more than just a craft to me, and in trying to turn it into a "job," I lost the hobby I loved most. 

So I'm re-evaluating what I want from my writing, and, do you know what? The words are coming so much easier now. 

I'm also obsessed with the music group Visions of Trees (listening to them as I type this). If you haven't checked them out, I recommend starting with Science of Hate. 

Until next week!

2 comments:

  1. Who ever thought of putting chocolate on an onion? And with the skin still on? Glad you're doing well, though. And I seriously miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! People up north are nuts. I miss you, too, my dear friend. Lots of love your way. :)

    ReplyDelete