Book Review and Cover Reveal of SEEKER by Arwen Elys Dayton

Hi, everybody, and welcome to 2015! Before I jump into the book review, I want to do a small update on the blog. This year, I'm hoping to review one proof copy of upcoming publications each month. Each review will be posted before the book comes out for purchase, and I'll send out reminders to followers on Twitter and Facebook. Click on the site names to follow me!

Here's to a fabulous 2015 full of writing and reading!

Now without further ado...

My January book review is of YA fantasy novel SEEKER by Arwen Elys Dayton. SEEKER is the first book in a new series (the second book is titled TRAVELER) and is Dayton's second published novel.

Here is a quick synopsis and cover reveal:

"Quin Kincaid has been put through years of brutal training for what she thinks is the noble purpose of becoming a revered ‘Seeker’.

Only when it’s too late does she discover she will be using her new-found knowledge and training to become an assassin. Quin's new role will take her around the globe, from a remote estate in Scotland to a bustling, futuristic Hong Kong where the past she thought she had escaped will finally catch up with her."



I didn't read the description of the book before I read it because I often like to be surprised by a book's contents. I was surprised in this case because the cover led me to believe I was reading a true fantasy novel, but SEEKER takes place in an alternate, futuristic society (although in the first page or two, you may not realize that).

To be honest, I had a hard time getting into the book. I found Dayton's writing style to be fairly elementary, and her characters felt underdeveloped to me, despite all the back story with which readers are almost immediately assaulted. Perhaps because of this, the book's rating on Goodreads is only at 3 stars.

On the other hand, I'm glad that I stuck with the novel. Dayton introduces a battle style that I found intriguing, and I thought Quin's journey as a character was a worthy one. If I can review TRAVELER when it's available in proofs, then I certainly will.

I hope Dayton keeps developing her writing skills, just as Quin is developing hers. She has great concepts that I look forward to seeing her flesh out even more. If you're looking for a book to read on a long plane flight, or if you're stuck inside this winter,  pick up a copy of SEEKER.

SEEKER will be available for purchase on February 10th. For more information about the book and its author, visit Dayton's website here. The website truly is beautifully designed, and Dayton keeps an updated blog, which is always a plus.

On my Goodreads, I plan to give this book 3 stars with the expectation that I'll rate the second in the series higher. For more of the books that I've read and reviewed, click on the link.

That concludes my first review for 2015! I'll see you all again next month. Until then, keep reading and writing!

Comments

Popular Posts