Book Review of ALIVE by Scott Sigler

This month I have the pleasure of reviewing the young adult novel, ALIVE, by Scott Sigler, the first in the exciting new Generations Trilogy.

Before I hop into my thoughts, I'll give you a sneak peek of the cover and the synopsis of the story.



Synopsis:

From New York Times bestselling author Scott Sigler comes something utterly new: a gripping sci-fi adventure trilogy in the vein of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and The Maze Runner. A group of young adults awake in a mysterious enclosed space with no knowledge of who they are or how they got there…and an indomitable young woman must lead them not only to answers but to survival.

A young woman awakes trapped in an enclosed space. She has no idea who she is or how she got there. With only her instincts to guide her, she escapes her own confinement—and finds she’s not alone. She frees the others in the room and leads them into a corridor filled with the remains of a war long past. The farther these survivors travel, the worse are the horrors they confront. And as they slowly come to understand what this prison is, they realize that the worst and strangest possibilities they could have imagined don’t even come close to the truth.


***

Sound interesting? I can assure you it was. I read all of ALIVE on a plane flight, and I'm pretty sure that if we had crashed, I wouldn't have even noticed, I was so busy flipping through the pages. 

The stakes are high in the book. The pace is quick. The characters are sharp and well-developed. As stated above, the story is reminiscent of great young adult works like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner (I'm not a huge fan of the Divergent books). The book is more than 350 pages long, and I buzzed through it in a little over two hours. 

Sigler had me guessing what the grey dust, exactly where the characters were, and how they came to be in their world up until he explained it all. Holding my interest so absolutely is a difficult thing to do, but I can tell you that Sigler managed it. I'm very much looking forward to reading (and hopefully reviewing) the rest of the trilogy. 

All that said, I gave the book 4 out of 5 starts on Goodreads. I withheld the final star for a couple of reasons. It's hard to write a main character--especially in first person--who is the opposite gender as you. Before I became familiarized with Savage, I confused her with being male. She reads very masculine, and here and there, had several lines that, as a female, I couldn't identify with. 

Beyond that, each character is marked with a symbol on their foreheads. I never felt as if I got a good sense of what the symbols meant. This could have been a lack of observation on my part, as I did read the book so quickly, but I felt like I wanted more. The same went for the Catholic school uniforms that the characters woke up in...Why Catholic uniforms if we're so far in the future? Again, just small anomalies that I wanted to explore further. 

ALIVE is set to be released on July 14th. I absolutely recommend readers snap up a copy of this book. I can very easily see it being made into an equally gripping movie and hope that I will get to see the characters and their world on the big screen. 

For more information about Scott Sigler and his writing, click here. This link will also take you to a page where you can pre-order a copy of ALIVE for your very own. 

If you read ALIVE and have comments, feel free to leave them on my blog! I'll see you next month, readers!

Comments

Popular Posts