Saturday, July 18, 2015

Review of THE MUSE by Meghan O'Brien

Today I have the pleasure of reviewing the Advanced Reader's Copy of a book outside of the young adult genre, which I don't often do.

As I do normally do young adult book reviews, it has to be said that this review may be PG-13, but no one under the age of 18 should probably be reading THE MUSE unless given parental permission. This isn't to say that I didn't indulge in books like Anne Rice's The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty Trilogy in high school, but still...

Whenever I have the opportunity, I like to support the LGBTQIA community's art, and reviewing O'Brien's book gives me the perfect opportunity to do so.




Synopsis:

Erotica author Kate McMannis has crippling writer’s block and a deadline in less than two months. When a beautiful woman named Erato appears at her house and claims to be her muse, Kate isn’t certain whether Erato is mentally ill or truly her supernatural savior. Either way, when the incredible sex Erato offers leads to genuine inspiration, Kate isn’t inclined to refuse her unusual brand of help.

When a little fantasy fulfillment with Erato inadvertently leads her to the shy and gorgeous Olive Johnson, unexpected feelings threaten to derail Kate’s motivation once again. Erato is just as determined to keep her writing on track as Kate is to explore her very real attraction to Olive—which leads to friction that threatens not only Kate’s ability to meet her deadline, but also her burgeoning romance with Olive.

Caught between a contractual obligation and her heart, is there any way for Kate to have it all?


***

So...if the cover alone doesn't grab you, I'm not sure what will. But in all seriousness, I read most of THE MUSE while on a plane and spent a lot of the ride blushing furiously and hoping no one else could see over my shoulder--in the best possible way. 

As a writer, it's hard not to fall in love with the idea of having your own personal muse descend on you and force your creative hand. However, what starts out  as an erotic twist rapidly devolves into chaos that, in a loose sense, reminded me of MISERY by Stephen King. 

I mentioned in an earlier post that my tastes in reading have slowly been shifting to novels that have a nail-biting quality to them, and though I knew that all would end well in this romantic tail, I did chew down to the quick waiting for the end to resolve itself. 

I gave the book 4 stars out of 5 on Goodreads and wished that they had an option for 4.5. Unfortunately, O'Brien doesn't seem to have a huge online presence, but you can purchase the novel online as it came out this June. 

Thanks, readers, as always for taking the time to browse this review. Go make this author happy, and purchase her work! I'll see you next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment