Saturday, September 26, 2015

Review of DREAMTHIEF by Tamara Grantham

Today I have the pleasure of reviewing DREAMTHIEF by Tamara Grantham. In the spirit of full disclosure, Tamara is a good friend of mine (lucky me), and I've known this book, since it was a synopsis. I'm so happy to see such a wonderful friend and book make it so far in this difficult day of publishing.

But enough gushing. I'll let the book speak for itself. Check out the cover and the synopsis below.




Synopsis:

Visiting Faythander is a nasty business. Forget the fairies and unicorns, most people come back with lost memories and mental problems. Olive Kennedy knows. She's the therapist who treats patients suffering from Faythander's side effects. Despite her empty bank account, she takes pride in her job as Houston’s only Fairy World medical doctor. She's never failed to cure a client—until now.

Traveling back to Faythander wasn't on Olive's to-do list. But she has no choice. The fate of both Earth and Fairy depends on her ability to stop an ancient being called the Dreamthief. To complicate matters, she may be losing her heart to someone who can’t love her in return. Saving the world, she can handle. Falling in love—not so much.

As if battling the forces of evil wasn't difficult enough…


***

Tamara sent me a copy of the book to review a little over a week ago, and I'm already finished with the book and putting my review together. That in itself, with my backed-up log of books, should tell you something about my love for this little novel. 

As fall is rolling around, I truly recommend curling up with this book by an open window with an afghan on an upcoming weekend. Even with all the plot twists and turns, DREAMTHIEF is sure to put a smile on your face.  

I love the conversational style that Olive, the main character, engages in with both the outside world and in her own head--Who doesn't have a Bill Clinton or Albert Einstein that chats away at times in addition to the primary voice in our heads (the child, the adult, and the parent, perhaps)?

I also loved the world-building of Faythander. I don't want to spoil too much of the plot, but Tamara uses well-loved fairy tale character classes and mixes and matches them in ways that I can't remember reading before. 

Tamara is also a master of wit, which comes through in the love story between Olive and Kull (a crazed Viking who likes elves none too much), and also a master of action. Some of my favorite scenes are the action-packed thrills that come one after another toward the end of the book through the climax. And the climax isn't quite the end. I have my fingers crossed that I'll be lucky enough to review the other books in the series!

I rated DREAMTHIEF 5 out of 5 on Goodreads, and only a small portion of my rating had to do with my love for the author. You can learn more about Tamara and buy her fun fantasy romp here

I'll see you all next month when I'll be back with my next book review! Until then, keep reading!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely review. Thank you, Erin! I find that some people hate the Clinton and Einstein monologue and others get it, but to be honest, I actually did have Bill Clinton as a voice in my head when I was a geeky teenager. Why? Probably because my mom hated him, and so he frightened me a little. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete