Sunday, June 12, 2016

Let's Get Technical: Post 1

Hi Everyone!

For the rest of the summer, I'll be diverging from my typical book reviews to focus on something else--my career (though don't worry; I also have book reviews coming out at the end of this month and next)!

As many of my readers probably do not know, I am currently a graduate student at the University of South Carolina. This summer, I am interning for Midlands Technical College with the hopes of hopefully working full-time in a community college once more after I finish my Master's. I guess you could say I'm a student affairs professional by day and a rogue writer, editor, and book reviewer by night.

But without further ado, let's jump into my experiences so far!




This past Friday, we finished our first week of training to be Orientation Advisors. As I reflected, I realized that, for me, community colleges will forever feel like home. I started my own higher education journey in a community college--both as a student and then an employee. Since then, I have worked in four community colleges, including Midlands. While I love four-year institutions as well, community colleges are home, and the people who work within them are family.

Less than a year from now, I'll be venturing out in the job search process, and I have to thank Midlands for reaffirming just how much the two-year sector means to be. From the student demographics served, to the mission statement, to the strategic plan, to the vital role that community colleges play in the country, I cannot see myself committing to working anywhere else. 

I look forward to what the rest of the summer has to offer. Please check back next week for a new post!

Until then, peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment